Certified LeSS Basics
(The virtual course is split into two half days. Please notice the time table given in the description.)
IMPORTANT: This is a virtual event that is stretched for two days (about 4 hours each day, including breaks) to ensure that high degree of energy and participation remains throughout the session, and there is a better information retention by attendees. Training hours are afternoon in Europe and morning in EDT (US east coast).
During these rough times (COVID-19), the LeSS company has granted permission to its accredited Trainers to deliver the Certified LeSS Basics Course virtually. Maximum class size allowed - 10 people.
The Certified LeSS Basics course provides essential information on how to scale your product development to multiple teams by implementing the Scrum effectively. This interactive course provides an overview of the LeSS framework and LeSS principles.
What is LeSS ?
Large-Scale Scrum (LeSS) is a framework for scaling agile development to multiple teams. LeSS.works gives an overview. LeSS builds on top of the Scrum principles such as empiricism, cross-functional self-managing teams and provides a framework for applying that at scale. It provides simple structural rules and guidelines on how to adopt Scrum in large product development.
What's special about this CLB training ?
This is an online course distributed over two half days. Using Zoom, we will leverage break-out rooms to integrate interactive elements. The maximum number of participants is 10.
April 9, 2020: 14:00 - 18:00 h CET (2 PM - 6 PM CET, 8 AM - 12 AM EDT)
April 10, 2020: 14:00 - 18:00 h CET (2 PM - 6 PM CET, 8 AM - 12 AM EDT)
Target audience: who benefits from the CLB course?
The course is targeted to experienced Scrum Masters, Product Owners, Agile Coaches and Managers in Product Development departments.
Certified LeSS Basics certificate (In order to acquire the CLB badge you will need to attend the event over the entire period of the course.)
About the Trainer
Marc Lustig has experience adopting agile practices and Scrum since 2004. He is a Certified Agile Coach with Scrum Alliance and registered as a LeSS Friendly Scrum Trainer with the LeSS Company (less.works).
LeSS Principles & Fundamentals
LeSS & LeSS huge overview
Introduction to LeSS (Why LeSS?)
Lean Thinking and Systems Thinking
LeSS - as Scrum-based approach on scaling
How does LeSS scale over ~8 teams?
Dynamics of component teams vs. feature teams
Roles, Events, Artifacts
What is basic Scrum and what is specific to LeSS?
Why there is only real PO and not so-called team POs?
Why ScruMaster in LeSS is a full-time role?
Impact of LeSS on organizational design (structures, policies)
Local Optimization vs. Global Optimization
The ‘Contract’ Game
Why Product definition should be broad
LeSS vs. LeSS Huge
What you will learn
After participating in the course, you will be able to
- Articulate why LeSS
- Explain how LeSS is a Scrum-based approach to scaling
- Summarize what impact this has on the organisational design (structures, policies, etc.)
- Explain the dynamics of component teams vs. feature teams
- Explain all LeSS roles and their purposes
- Explain why there is one and only real PO and not so-called team POs
- Explain the LeSS Complete diagram, organizing LeSS information in terms of the principles, rules, guides, and experiments
- Explain how LeSS scales over ~8 teams
- Know the existence of and location of major learning resources at less.works, including at least these sections: Why LeSS?, Introduction to LeSS, the rules, the online videos & books chapters.
Participants have passed either a Scrum foundations course (CSM, PSM) from Scrum Alliance or Scrum.org or have acquired the same knowledge from reading and practising.
The Certified LeSS basics course is for anyone who is involved in a LeSS effort. Basic Scrum knowledge is expected (this is not a beginner's course) and can be achieved by attending a Certified Scrum Master or a Professional Scrum Master course, or thoroughly reading Scrum introduction material such as the Scrum Primer and practicing Scrum. You can read more about CLB and review pre-training materials here.
To maximize your learning experience, please
- do the LeSS Test and refer to Scrum Guide in case of questions
- get familar with the core ideas of LeSS
- watch the LeSS Complete Picture in 3 minutes
- watch the Introduction to LeSS in 8:14 minutes
Advanced reading material to prepare for the course
- Readings Preparing for LeSS Adoption
- Feature Team Primer, by Craig Larman and Bas Vodde
- Lean Thinking, by Craig Larman and Bas Vodde
- System Thinking, by Craig Larman and Bas Vodde
- LeSS Story
- LeSS Principles
- The Scrum Guide, by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Scwaber
- Scrum Checklist by Henrik Kniberg
- The Scrum Master Checklist, by Michael James
- Scrum Primer
Price: 390 EUR