Certified LeSS Basics
b/w 11th and 12th ave
New York Postal Code: 10038
Note: This course is scheduled on SATURDAY.
Large-Scale Scrum (LeSS) is a framework for scaling agile development to multiple teams. LeSS.works gives an overview. LeSS builds on top of the Scrum principles such as empiricism, cross-functional self-managing teams and provides a framework for applying that at scale. It provides simple structural rules and guidelines on how to adopt Scrum in large product development.
The Certified LeSS Basics course is a brief introduction into the LeSS Framework. It provides a 1-day overview of the framework and some of the essential concepts that it uses. It will help determining whether LeSS is for you but for LeSS adoptions, we’d recommend to follow it up with a LeSS Practitioner course.
The Certified LeSS basics course is for anyone who is involved in a LeSS effort. Basic Scrum knowledge is a must (this is not a beginner's course) and can be achieved by attending a Certified Scrum Master or a Professional Scrum Master course, or thoroughly reading Scrum introduction material such as the Scrum Primer and practicing Scrum. The Certified LeSS Basics course is often combined with a Scrum course where this will be the last day of a longer Scrum-focused training.
- Experienced ScrumMasters and agile practitioners
- Team and Organizational coaches, Trainers
- Organizational leaders and managers
- Software engineers and hands-on technologists
Basic scrum knowledge is a must for everyone.
After the workshop, the participants will be able to understand that LeSS is multi-team Scrum, understand what is LeSS, what is not LeSS, and the principles behind LeSS, understand how the current organizational design comes in the way of the organization being Agile and evaluate what changes need to be made to help the organization adopt LeSS. Course participants will be also recognize 'fake' LeSS adoptions and articulate why the latter don't succeed.
This review will combine instructor-led structured learning of key principles of LeSS, introduction to System Modelling and Q&A that is based on experience of practical implementation and lessons learned by experienced LeSS coaches and trainers.
- Introduction to LeSS (Why LeSS?)
- Lean Thinking and System Thinking
- LeSS - as Scrum-based approach on scaling
- How does LeSS scale over ~8 teams?
- Dynamics of component teams vs. feature teams
- Roles, Events, Artifacts
- What is basic Scrum and what is specific to LeSS?
- Why there is one and only real PO and not so-called team POs?
- Why ScruMaster in LeSS is a full-time role?
- The complete diagram of LeSS: principles, rules, guides, and experiments
- Impact of LeSS on organizational design (structures, policies)
- Local Optimization vs. Global Optimization
- The ‘Contract’ Game
- The Product
- Product Development Types
- Product Portfolio Management (real portfolios vs. fake portfolios)
- Why are there so many attempts to modify LeSS, without trying it?
- LeSS vs. LeSS Huge
Recommended Reading Pre-Requisites /Self-Study
- Readings Preparing for First Call
- Readings Preparing for LeSS Adoption
- Feature Team Primer, by Craig Larman and Bas Vodde
- Lean Thinking, by Craig Larman and Bas Vodde
- System Thinking, by Craig Larman and Bas Vodde
- LeSS Story
- LeSS Principles
- The Scrum Guide, by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Scwaber
- Scrum Checklist by Henrik Kniberg
- The Scrum Master Checklist, by Michael James
- Scrum Primer
Additional Useful References
- LeSS Events in NYC
- LeSS Communities Globally
- LeSS Newsletters Archive
- LeSS Articles
- LeSS-related Books
- LeSS Videos
- LeSS Brochure
- LeSS Rules
- LeSS Onion (experiments included)
- System Thinking in LeSS transformations (Lv Yi)
Additional Price Information: Please, follow Registration link above, for pricing and registration. Group discounts are available.