How to facilitate remote PBRs effectively?
Discuss and share experience whether and how successful Product Backlog Refinements can be done remotely
What we gathered:
- Collaboration technology from CISCO works very well but is highly expensive (e.g. https://www.webex.com/team-collaboration.html)
- Mirrorboard for realtime visual collaboration (https://miro.com)
- Gamification e.g. "Wheel decides" for User Story Splitting (Self-made or https://tools-unite.com/tools/random-picker-wheel)
- Identify relevant stakeholders before PBR using https://www.stakeholdermap.com
- Use a fixed webcam filming the physical board on a steady basis
- Invite a team representative to the PBR being physically present while her team mates are remote
- If a single team is remote, everybody is remote!
- Let a team (member) paraphrase what another team (member) said to emphasize common understanding!
- Insert very short intermediate "Mini-Retrospectives" giving a chance to adapt even during a PBR!
- It's hard to do PBRs remotely without knowing the remote teams in reality!
Thank you all for attending even during conference prime time ;) and sharing your experiences
Edit: Supplementing this I just found some more interesting stuff at https://medium.com/liberationist-thoughts/google-research-reveals-7-secrets-of-successful-remote-teams-8c4437ee4857