Certified LeSS Basics
This class is delivered by Greg Hutchings, the first Certified LeSS Trainer (CLT) after LeSS creators Craig Larman and Bas Vodde began to certify trainers. More information about Greg can be found here: http://www.linkedin.com/in/greghutchings
Greg has introduced, taught and coached LeSS at BMW, Nokia (formerly Alcatel-Lucent), Entain (formerly bwin.party digital entertainment), PayU (a part of the Naspers Group), Mercedes Benz, Schneider Electric and other clients, and has also trained and coached alternative approaches to scaling lean and agile, including SAFe, the Spotify "model" (sic) and do-it-yourself approaches to scaling agile. He formerly led the global agile services offering at Valtech, and led the West Coast for ThoughtWorks - Valtech and ThoughtWorks are the two companies recognized already in 2004 by Forrester Research as being capable of doing agile at scale. Greg founded Amelior Services in 2015, where he leads agile, innovation and leadership training and coaching.
Each student can request either a complimentary:
- 30 minute 1-on-1 session to discuss any topics about covered materials, one's own role in LeSS adoption, etc., or
- One hour lunch & learn Zoom meeting for his/her company - to discuss organization design implications of LeSS adoption or any pressing current needs
IMPORTANT: This is a virtual event that allows a maximum of only 12 people per class, to deepen learning and create ample opportunity to participate and ask questions.
The class takes place over 2 days (4 HOURS each day, including breaks) to ensure that high degree of energy and participation remains throughout the session, and that there is a better information retention by attendees. The event is scheduled in PDT (GMT-8).
If you think that your company would be interested in hosting a private virtual training, please reach out to the organizer (below).
Agenda & Learning Objectives:
This review will combine instructor-led structured learning of key principles of LeSS, introduction to System Modelling and Q&A that is based on experience of practical implementation and lessons learned by experienced LeSS coaches and trainers.
- Articulate why LeSS
- Explain how LeSS is a Scrum-based approach on scaling
- Summarize what impact this has on the organisational design (structures, policies, etc.)
- Explain the dynamics of component teams vs. feature teams
- Explain all LeSS roles and their purposes
- Explain why there is one and only real PO and not so-called team POs
- Explain the LeSS Complete diagram, organizing LeSS information in terms of the principles, rules, guides, and experiments
- Explain how LeSS scales over ~8 teams
- Know the existence of and location of major learning resources at less.works, including at least these sections: Why LeSS?, Introduction to LeSS (chapter 2 from book 3), the rules, the online videos & books chapters. (this should be done with at least a “2” minute online tour of these elements, by the trainer)
After the workshop, the participants will be able to understand that LeSS is multi-team Scrum, understand what is LeSS, what is not LeSS, and the principles behind LeSS, understand how the current organizational design comes in the way of the organization being Agile and evaluate what changes need to be made to help the organization adopt LeSS. Course participants will also be more able to recognize 'fake' LeSS adoptions and articulate why they then not to succeed.
Large-Scale Scrum (LeSS) is a framework for scaling lean and agile development to multiple teams. LeSS.works gives an overview. LeSS builds on top of the Scrum principles such as empiricism, cross-functional self-managing teams and transparency, and provides a framework for applying that at scale. It provides simple structural rules and guidelines on how to adopt Scrum in large product development.
The Certified LeSS Basics course is a brief introduction into the LeSS Framework. It provides an overview of the framework and some of the essential concepts that it uses. It is currently the only certifying course available online by the LeSS Company; the additional 3 day in person Certified LeSS Practitioner course is available online in a 5 day, non-certifying provisional CLP by the same trainer, and is highly recommended for all of those involved before beginning a LeSS adoption.
The Certified LeSS basics course is for anyone considering a LeSS adoption and wanting to learn more, including all levels and roles within organisations. Basic Scrum knowledge is expected and can be achieved by attending a Certified Scrum Master or a Professional Scrum Master course, or thoroughly reading an introduction to Scrum, such as the Scrum Primer and or Scrum Guide. The trainer has found that many who consider themselves to know Scrum have, in fact, a number of misconceptions, so there will be a short and clarifying review of Scrum.
Useful (but not mandatory) prereadings from the authors of LeSS:
- Readings Preparing for LeSS Adoption
- Feature Team Primer, by Craig Larman and Bas Vodde
- Lean Thinking, by Craig Larman and Bas Vodde
- System Thinking, by Craig Larman and Bas Vodde
- LeSS Story
- LeSS Principles
- The Scrum Guide, by Jeff Sutherland and Ken Schwaber
- Scrum Checklist by Henrik Kniberg
- The Scrum Master Checklist, by Michael James
- Scrum Primer
Additional Useful References
- LeSS Newsletters Archive
- LeSS Articles
- LeSS-related Books
- LeSS Videos
- LeSS Brochure
- LeSS Rules
- LeSS Onion (experiments included)
- System Thinking in LeSS transformations (Lv Yi)
Price: 679 USD
Early Bird Price: 529 USD (End Date: 2021-04-10)